Hamburg, Pennsylvania is located in northern Berks County, at the foot of the Blue Mountains, along the Schuylkill River. Hamburg was officially founded in 1787 and named after Hamburg, Germany due to the largely German population in the region. On July 1, 1798, Hamburg became the second town with postal designation in Berks County. Fourteen years later, the Centre Turnpike was created, running between the cities of Reading and Pottsville. Being in close proximity to this major roadway and approximately 15 miles from each city, Hamburg began to grow rapidly. In 1820, the Schuylkill Canal was completed, followed quickly by railroad lines. These advances in infrastructure had stops in Hamburg, boosting its population. Hamburg was incorporated as a Pennsylvania borough in 1837.
BOROUGH OF HAMBURG